International architecture and design studio Red Deer ha recently refurbished a period Grade II-listed home in central London. The two-storey 18th-century apartment, part of a larger Georgian townhouse, is located in London’s Marylebone. Built in 1750, the two-bedroom property is comprised of a ground-floor open-plan living, dining and kitchen area, bathroom, master bedroom with ensuite and outdoor terrace. On the upper first-floor is a second bedroom which overlooks the outdoor terrace.
Stripped back to its shell, the layers of history begin with the property’s Portland Estate 1750s layout, which underwent some alterations in the early 19th century. Reconfiguring the layout further, Red Deer removed the apartment’s bathroom and cloakroom and narrowed the hallway in order to accommodate two smaller bathrooms, one being ensuite. Additionally, the kitchen was reoriented to create an open-plan social kitchen and dining space for entertaining.
Original Jacobethan moldings and new-classical plasterwork make up a marriage of styles that were all carefully restored by Red Deer. Period fireplaces were also sourced and reinstalled, along with reclaimed Douglas Fir floorboards.
A palette of black, white and grey flows across the property allowing the sharper lines of one-off furniture pieces and brass fittings to shine. With a distinctive mid-century American styling, the interior is effortlessly elegant and eclectic.