IELTS is an examination that provides exclusive opportunities to all the students and working professionals to migrate to countries that have English as their native languages. The one who aspires to study from prestigious universities abroad can qualify for this examination and easily fulfil their goals. The exam provides opportunities to migrate to countries like Canada, New Zealand, Australia, UK and US. IELTS is not the sole criteria for gaining admissions abroad but carries a greater weightage of all. IELTS is worked upon as a joint authority of British Council, IDP, IELTS Australia and Cambridge Assessment English.
Why go for IELTS?
In the language of a layperson, if we talk about IELTS, it shall be considered proof of English language efficiency for the people migrating abroad. The examination tests the proficiency of the individuals in speaking, reading, writing and understanding English. This is done to envisage better living standards for foreigners travelling to the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand, and Australia.
Although, English language is not only confined to these five to six given countries. But it is also the third most spoken language in the world and accounts for 379 million speakers worldwide. Therefore, qualifying for the examination will also serve as a boon to the individuals in other various fields of their lives as well. Learning English is nothing of less worth in this highly globalized and industrialised world.
Qualifying IELTS and learning to understand English would be highly beneficial in countries with it as their native language. It is also essential for job opportunities as well as integration into the community. It at the same time provide better assimilation into an unknown society. Cultural exchanges, that too overseas through common language is of extreme importance for survival at any particular place. Thus, these are the brilliant opportunities that IELTS provides for every deserving individual.
IELTS is the most popular test for those looking to migrate to Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the UK. It is globally recognised by more than 10,000 employers, universities, schools and immigration bodies including 3,400 institutions in the USA. IELTS not only serves as a basis for personal development but also works great in professional aspects as well. Its huge international recognition makes it very authentic and considerable worldwide.
IELTS Score Scale
|Band score||English level||Description|
|9||Expert user||Complete command in English language with accurate, appropriate and fluent and full understanding.|
|8||Very good user||Complete command with only rare errors, inapt. Words. Can understand complex statements quite well.|
|7||Good user||god command of English but also has occasional inaccuracies. Can use and understand complex arguments quite well.|
|6||Competent user||Has effective command of English but also has some errors. Can use and understand complex arguments as well but best in familiar situations.|
|5||Modest user||Hass partial command of English and can deal with the overall meaning. Make frequent errors and cannot deal with complex language.|
|4||Limited user||The test taker’s basic competence is limited to familiar situations. They frequently show problems in understanding and expression. They are not able to use complex language.|
|3||Extremely limited user||The test taker conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. There are frequent breakdowns in communication.|
|2||Intermittent user||The test taker has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.|
|1||Non-user||The test taker has no ability to use the language except a few isolated words.|
|0||Did not attempt the test||The test taker did not answer the questions.|
IELTS for study
- If any individual is interested in studying abroad, remember that many universities worldwide and all universities and colleges in the UK, US, Australia, New Zealand and others accept IELTS test results.
- Tier 4 student visa applicants can apply to universities in the UK with an IELTS result from any of the 1,000 IELTS test locations worldwide unless the institution has additional requirements.
- Some universities act as local agents on behalf of the British Council, ensuring the organisation and delivery of the IELTS examinations.
- If the students are aspiring for an undergraduate or postgraduate degree programme, one should definitely take the Academic IELTS test. The General Training IELTS test is sufficient for programmes that do not award a degree. Look for chosen or most preferred college or university and check the version of IELTS that is right for you.
- As a future international student, you will need to demonstrate that you are qualified and can successfully complete a degree programme taught in English. Therefore, you will need higher IELTS scores to enrol in advanced degree programmes such as Masters or PhDs.
IELTS for work
Every Indian who wants to pursue their career abroad must prove their English language proficiency, which is an important step in obtaining a visa to work and stay abroad. Language skills are the key to career success, be it any native language of a particular country and are also considered a valuable asset and all the other requirements of any job.
It is necessary for the work visa applicants to achieve either ‘competent’ English or ‘vocational’ English language skills, meaning you will have to be prepared for more than basic conversational English.
- In the UK, applicants must score at least 6.5 on each of the four components of the test (Reading, Speaking, Listening and Writing).
- For working in Australia, a test score of 5 is considered to be a ’vocational English’ level. A band score of 6 means that the applicant is a ’competent English’ speaker.
- In New Zealand, work permit applicants must gain an overall band score of 4 or higher in the IELTS General or Academic module. They may also provide additional evidence of their English language abilities, such as information about countries they have lived in, their current country of residence or their family’s knowledge of English.
- In USA, applicants should check directly with the organisation they want to apply to for the IELTS score requirements. Employers and educational institutions generally set their own language requirements.
IELTS is an examination recognized worldwide and provides a worthy opportunity to all the students and working professionals to make themselves eligible enough to migrate into foreign countries. Although considering the unprecedented contemporary situations, the opportunities provided by the IELTS are very less utilized by the individuals but it could never lessen its importance of connecting two or more countries culturally and professionally at the same time.