Short-term rentals are living spaces that are available only for short durations. They are usually furnished apartments that you can rent for a few days, a few weeks, and sometimes even for a few months. These places are sometimes also called “vacation homes”, but they are not meant only for holiday stays. You can stay if you are visiting on a business trip, meeting friends, in the city for a short education course, or for a job interview. It can even be your temporary corporate housing if you have just joined a new job and don’t yet have a place to stay.
What is the main advantage of these properties? They are a very good alternative to hotels. Staying in a hotel is always going to be costlier, even for a few days. Apartment stay, even when it is furnished, will cost just a fraction, by comparison.
- Furnished apartments – Homes that are either fully or partly furnished, many even with well-equipped kitchens.
- Temporary corporate apartments – Homes popular with employees in the corporate sector. Mostly with employees who have just joined, moved into the city, and don’t yet have a place to stay.
Short-term homes have become extremely popular in recent times. You will have more space and privacy than a hotel. You can also cook your own food, which is always going to be healthier and cheaper than hotel food.
Moving to a New City? Stay in a Furnished Apartment First
It is always a good idea to first move into temporary corporate housing. Move-in, settle down and then search for a permanent place to stay.
If you are already in the city, it will be so much easier to prepare a shortlist of the available properties, inspect them personally, and then you can make the decision accordingly. It will be so much harder to decide remotely from another place.
How to Find Short Term Rentals
If you don’t want to stay with a friend, if the stay is going to be long enough that makes the hotel room too costly, but not so long that you can sign the lease for a year, then a short-term rental is the right option for you.
Finding a rental property for the short term can, however, be difficult sometimes because many landlords want a long-term commitment.
So how do you find furnished apartments? Here are some tips –
1. Work with a Local Realtor
The easiest way to find many options is by working with a local apartment agent. The realtor will inform you about the best areas in the city and all the available housing options there. Remember, many landlords do not list their properties online. Locals realtors and agents will have the complete picture. They will also inform you about the location, amenities, and the right prices in each area.
2. Decide What You Want
You have to consider many things even before you begin your search –
- The Cost – How much are you willing to spend for your short-term rental each month? Find out the average cost of renting in the city and its various neighborhoods. Usually, you will have a bigger budget if you are in the corporate sector and if your employer is going to pay the rent. Check to verify with your employer.
- How many bedrooms – The cost of housing will naturally depend on its size. So, decide on the total area of your housing. If you are moving with your family, you will naturally require at least 2 bedrooms, which means a bigger house.
- Location – If you have to commute to work or your class, then how far away can your house be? The rental close to the city center will naturally be convenient, but it is usually more expensive.
- Transit – Do you require access to public transportation or parking space? Perhaps you need both. You have to consider both the location and size of the housing.
- Furnishings – Furnished apartments will naturally cost more. But this is still a good decision because it saves you money. You don’t have to move your furniture or buy new things. And if you indeed decide to purchase furnishings, then consider what you are going to do at the end of your stay.
- Essentials – Have you already shortlisted a few short-term rental properties? Check what is available in the neighborhood. If you will be staying with family and kids, then you need a school and park. How far are the grocery stores from your place? You may also require laundry facilities.
3. How Long Will You Be Staying?
When you are looking at furnished homes, also consider the length of your stay. Will you stay for just a couple of weeks or for six months? Budget-wise, an apartment that seemed appealing can actually be too costly depending on how long you will be staying. If you are unsure about the length of your stay, then check whether the terms are flexible so you can stay less or more, as needed.
4. Consider All the Costs
When you are budgeting for short-term homes or temporary corporate housing, you must look beyond the monthly rent. There can be other expenses too like utilities and parking. Some owners may also charge you for repairs carried out during your stay. So, always check whether there will be any additional costs. Short-term accommodation can sometimes be pricey. It is important that you know how much you are likely to spend before signing the document.
You will surely find many corporate apartments if you have just joined a new position. Your employer will also help you find one. There are many short-term furnished apartments on rent as well for students, businesspersons, and others. You will just have to know how to find the best properties in the city or town you are visiting.