If you’re like most people, your job requires you to sit down for at least eight hours per day without many breaks. However, we humans aren’t made to be sitting so long, and doing so allows chronic pain to creep in.
Many specialists agree that investing in a reliable office chair can prevent or even alleviate chronic pain. For instance, “A well-made chair has such construction that immensely benefits your lower back,” says Peter Novak, an interior designer in Seattle, in his comfortable office chair article at leaphomeward.com.
That’s because a quality office chair has ergonomic features such as lumbar support, contouring design, and various adjustability options. Therefore, if you want to become more productive and pain-free, check out the chairs below.
Herman Miller Aeron
Herman Miller Aeron is a top-quality chair with an elegant, yet functional design that will optimize your office space. Choose Aeron if you want to invest in a durable and comfortable chair for long hours. Here’s what this chair can offer you:
- Comfortable mesh. The 8Z Pellicle mesh is very flexible so that it contours your body, adjusting to your shape. Therefore, you can maintain a correct and relaxed posture, avoiding any pressure points. However, this mesh material is firm, and you may prefer cushioned chairs.
- Convenience. You can use the Aeron right out of the box because it comes fully assembled.
- Durable. The Aeron comes with a 12-year warranty, which means you’ll have it for at least that much. Remember that your chair has a 24/7 rating, meaning the warranty is valid even if you’re working non-stop.
- Customized comfort. Choose the right Aeron size for your needs, from the smallest option to the largest. It’s essential to pick an Aeron that fits because this chair lacks certain ergonomic adjustments, such as seat depth or back height.
- Adjustable armrests. The Aeron’s armrests are soft and comfortable, allowing you to move freely. As they support your arms so well in all your positions, you won’t experience any upper body pain.
- Optional adjustable PostureFit SL. If you have chronic back pain, this option offers you more lumbar support.
- Optional forward tilt option. If your job involves a lot of typing, get this optional feature. It will tilt the backrest forward so you won’t have to slouch over your keyboard.
The Leap is another comfortable and durable chair to choose if you’re working long hours. If you don’t know much about office chairs, you might say the Leap is pretty much the same as the Aeron.
However, the Aeron is a good model if you want more customization options and have chronic back pain. Steelcase Leap is better if you need increased support when you’re juggling between devices.
That said, here’s what you can expect with Steelcase Leap:
- LiveBack technology. This technology allows the Leap’s backrest to adjust to your shape and movements. That means you get top support regardless of your position, which minimizes any sort of pain.
- Natural Glide System. When you recline, this technology keeps your upper body and devices aligned. Therefore, you can maintain the correct posture.
- 4D armrests. You can adjust the armrests’ height, depth, width, and angle depending on your shape and position. That way, your upper body maintains a natural, relaxed posture all the time.
- Good support. The backrest and seat padding contours your body to keep your correct posture. However, you may prefer a cushioned chair instead of this thin padding.
- Adjustable lumbar pad. The lumbar support takes the pressure off your spine, preventing back pain. You can adjust both its height and firmness, to target your pressure points effectively.
- Various ergonomic adjustments. You can easily adjust the Leap to your shape, size, and needs. Besides the armrests and lumbar pad, you can also adjust the seat depth, seat height, and tilt angle.
La-Z-Boy Winston Bonded Leather Big & Tall Executive Chair
If you don’t like firm chairs like the Leap or Aeron, La-Z-Boy Executive Chair is a plush and comfortable choice. This chair has limited ergonomic adjustments because it can only swivel, tilt, and increase in height. However, it’s a comfortable and stylish pick because:
- It uses brown bonded leather. This leather upholstery is durable, has a classic look, and feels smooth on your skin. The La-Z-Boy Winston Executive Chair looks impressive and massive, but it’s also sleek and soft.
- It offers good support. The lumbar pad and headrest take the pressure off your back and neck. Therefore, you can sit down for hours without any soreness. The curved, well-padded armrests are comfortable too, even though you can’t adjust them.
- It’s comfortable for hours. The curved backrest, plush design, and waterfall edge help you maintain a natural posture. As you’re pain-free and well supported, you can sit down comfortably for hours.
Don’t compromise your health and choose the right office chair that prevents chronic pain. That way, you’ll be more productive and stress-free.
The Aeron is a good pick if you want a customizable chair that’s best for your back pain. The Leap is best if you’re constantly changing between devices. However, if you prefer plush comfort and don’t care much about ergonomic adjustments, La-Z-Boy Winston is an imposing chair for any executive.