Open kitchens are a popular design choice for modern homes. They offer a more spacious and inviting feel, and they can make it easier to entertain visiting guests.
Nonetheless, designing a dining room that complements an open kitchen can be challenging. You want to create a cohesive look between the two spaces, but you want to make sure that the dining room is comfortable and functional, too.
Luckily, here are some tips for designing a dining room that complements an open kitchen:
- Pick the right furniture. The size and style of your dining table and chairs should be in proportion to the size of your dining room and the overall style of your home. If you have a small dining room, you may want to choose a round or oval table to save space. If you have a large dining room, you can choose a rectangular table to seat more people.
- Arrange the furniture in a functional and stylish way. Dining room tables should be the focal point of the room, so make sure to place them in a central location. To add, you should leave enough space around the table for people to move around comfortably. If you have a small dining room, on the other hand, you may want to consider using a bench instead of chairs on one side of the table.
- Create a cohesive look between the dining room and the kitchen. One way to do this is to use the same color scheme or similar finishes in both spaces. And you can use accent pieces, such as rugs, curtains, and artwork, to tie the two spaces together.
- Use lighting and accessories to enhance the dining room. The right lighting can create a warm and inviting atmosphere in the dining room. You may want to use a chandelier or pendant light over the dining table. Plus, you can use floor lamps or table lamps to create accent lighting in the room. Accessories, such as vases, bowls, and candles, can add personality and style to the dining room.
Here are some additional tips:
- Use a rug to define the dining space and create a cozy atmosphere.
- Add a statement piece, such as a large mirror or piece of art, to the dining room wall.
- Hang curtains or blinds on the windows to control the amount of outdoor lighting and add privacy.
- Place a credenza or sideboard in the dining room for extra storage.
- Add a bar cart to the dining room for serving drinks and snacks.
- Use fresh flowers or plants to add a touch of nature to the dining room.
Dining Room Design Styles You Can Try Out
Here are some dining room design ideas you can look into:
- Modern: For a modern dining room, choose furniture with clean lines and simple silhouettes. And you can use metallic accents and pops of bright color to add visual interest.
- Traditional: For a traditional dining room, choose furniture with classic lines and rich finishes. Additionally, you can utilize traditional accents, such as crystal chandeliers and damask curtains.
- Rustic: For a rustic dining room, choose furniture made from natural materials, such as wood and stone. You can use natural elements, such as potted plants and exposed brick walls, to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
- Coastal: For a coastal dining room, choose furniture with a light and airy feel. You can also pick nautical accents, like seashells and rope, to add a touch of beachy vibes.
- Bohemian: For a bohemian dining room, choose furniture with a unique and eclectic style. You can also use bold colors and patterns to create a fun and inviting atmosphere.
No matter what your style is, there’s a dining room design that is perfect for you. By following these tips and ideas, you can create a dining room that complements your open kitchen and reflects your personal taste.
Dining Room Lighting For Open Kitchens
Lighting is an important element in any dining room, but it’s especially important in an open kitchen and dining room. You want to create a warm and inviting atmosphere in the dining room, but you also want to make sure that the lighting is bright enough for people to see what they are eating.
One way to achieve this is to use a chandelier or pendant light over the dining table. You can use floor lamps or table lamps to create accent lighting in the room as well. If you have a large dining room, on the other hand, you may want to use a combination of chandelier or pendant light and accent lighting.
Dining Room Accessories You Can Use
Accessories can add personality and style to your dining room. When choosing accessories, it is important to consider the overall style of your dining room. For example, if you have a modern dining room, you may want to choose accessories with clean lines and simple silhouettes. Meanwhile, if you have a traditional dining room, you may want to choose accessories with classic lines and rich finishes.
By following the tips and ideas in this post, you can create a dining room that complements your open kitchen and reflects your taste. A well-designed dining room can be a beautiful and inviting space where you can gather with family and friends to enjoy meals and special occasions.