Whether you’re looking for off road electric scooters for adults or something to ride around town, you may be unsure of what to look for when choosing your scooter. Buying an e-scooter is an investment, and it’s important to make sure that the model you choose is safe, reliable and easy to use.
There are several things to look for and consider when choosing an electric scooter.
Electric Scooter Features
The scooter’s weight may not seem like an important thing, but it can make a difference in your experience. For example, if you plan to carry your scooter around, you don’t want it to be too heavy. On the other hand, a lighter scooter will be easy to carry in and out of the workplace or on and off public transportation.
Scooters with ranges of 15 miles usually weigh over 30 pounds, which is still manageable. However, scooters that weigh over 40 lbs. can be challenging to carry around for long periods of time.
Some of that weight can be offset by a shoulder strap or handle. Scooters that fold up can also be easier to transport. Keep these points in mind when considering the weight of the scooter.
Along with weight, you should also consider the scooter’s speed. Speed may not be as important as other factors, but it’s still worth noting. Ideally, your scooter should have a maximum speed of 15 mph. At this speed, you can commute, run errands or sightsee at a reasonable pace.
You can find fast electric scooters for adults, but it may not be necessary to travel at a high speed when you’re on an e-scooter.
Check your local laws to see if there are restrictions on how fast scooters can travel on roadways. In most cases, there’s no real reason to travel at speeds faster than 15 mph on a scooter anyway, but your local laws may dictate how fast you can travel on a scooter.
Brakes are one of the most important safety features on a scooter. A poor braking system can make the scooter unsafe to ride, whereas a quality braking system can save you from serious injury.
There are two types of scooter braking systems:
- Electronic: Rely on the motor to stop the scooter. This type of braking system uses regenerative braking or electric brakes.
- Mechanical: Similar to a vehicle’s braking system in that a mechanism is used to slow down the scooter. Drum, foot and disc brakes are all considered mechanical braking systems.
Generally, mechanical braking systems are more reliable than their electronic counterparts. However, electronic braking systems require less maintenance. Modern electronic braking systems, like the ones on Okai scooters, have come a long way and can be just as reliable as their mechanical counterparts.
Scooters can have either all electronic or all mechanical braking systems, while others have a combination of the two. Make sure that the scooter you choose has a quality braking system.
Of course, price is another important feature of a scooter. You can find e-scooters in many price ranges. It’s important to not only consider the cost itself, but the value for the money. A quality scooter is well worth the investment.
What Are the Best Electric Scooters for Adults?
The best and most powerful electric scooters for adults are:
- Easy to use
It’s also helpful if the scooter is lightweight enough to transport.
How To Choose The Best Electric Scooter
To choose the best electric scooter, consider the points above.
- Do you need a scooter that’s ultra-lightweight for easy transport? If so, look for models that are 35 lbs. or less.
- Do you need a speedy scooter? If so, look for ones that travel at 15 mph. At this speed, you can use your scooter as a viable alternative to a vehicle or bicycle.
- Do you have time for brake maintenance? If not, look for scooters that have an electronic braking system.
- What is your budget? Choose a scooter that offers the best combination of speed, safety and usability within your price range.
If you’re not sure where to buy electric scooters for adults, check online. When you buy online, you can easily compare models using the points above and find the one that meets your need and budget.