Have you noticed that your flash drive doesn’t work properly? There may be many reasons for this. If you have faced unexpected lags or corrupted information, the best way to deal with these problems is to format the flash drive. Formatting can be necessary when you want to get more free space on your drive or in case you want to make it compatible with a new system.
3 Best Ways to Format Your Flash Drive
So, how can you format a flash drive on Windows 10? There are several ways for easy USB formatting everyone should know. Also, we’ll talk about the situations when you need to recover a formatted USB drive and retrieve important data. Let’s get started.
1. Use the File Explorer. You need to open it on your computer and click on the flash drive. Choose the option “Format,” and the process of formatting will be launched. You’ll be warned about the deletion of all the pieces of information on your drive. To proceed, you will need to confirm the operation by pressing “OK.” When the process is over, you will get a notification. Just finish it, and that’s it.
2. Use the Disk Management System. Search for the disk management system in the Start menu. You will see the necessary option among other drives. Click on your drive and launch the formatting process. The system will warn you about a loss of data in case of the flash drive formatting. You need to choose “OK” if you want to continue. When the process is over, you can check the drive in the listing of the disk management system.
3. Use Command Prompt. Type “cmd” in the Start menu. Choose the Command Prompt and select “Run as Admin.” You can choose whether you want to perform in a quick or a full format. The last option will take you about 10-15 minutes. You need to insert the necessary drive and look at the specifications of the drive when the formatting process is over.
You can use the methods listed above to format the flash drive on Windows 10 effectively. Choose the one that fits you best, depending on your user level of experience. Take into account that all of the ways described in the list are beginner-friendly and can be used by novice users and more experienced users of Windows 10.
Is There Any Way to Recover Formatted Flash Drive?
Everyone faces a need to format a flash drive from time to time due to the limited capacity of the storage device or other reasons. But what to do if you have erased valuable files by mistake or formatted the wrong flash drive accidentally? Nobody is immune from such challenging situations. Don’t start panicking. There is an effective solution that will help you retrieve the lost files quickly. You need to use a recovery tool, Disk Drill, that can restore data from the flash drive even after it’s been formatted.
Here are the steps you need to take to get back the necessary data easily.
- Download Disk Drill from the official website and launch the recovery software. You can recover up to 500MB without any investments.
- Start the scanning process. When it is over, you’ll see the files that are available for recovery.
- Select the necessary files and click the Recover button.
Important! The system will ask you where to locate the recovered files. Don’t choose the folder on the same flash drive.
As you can see, the whole process is very user-friendly and doesn’t require specific skills. Moreover, Disk Drill has many useful tools that will help you protect your data from possible loss in the future.