The last thing you’d want as a homeowner is to fall victim to burglary after toiling so hard to buy valuables for your home. Such attempts are widespread at night or while you’re out of town. And to curb such attempts, you can choose to adopt a more old-school approach of getting a dog or updating your window locks and doors.
But in an age where technology is making life easier in almost every aspect of life, it’s best to embrace it. This is why a home security system is a perfect choice because it’s no doubt the best alarm system. But because choosing the best home security system can be a challenge, here’s a guide on the tips to consider that’ll ease your decision-making process.
Identify Your Purpose
When looking for a home security system, the best place to start is to determine why you want it installed. For many homeowners, this is mostly to safeguard their valuables, home, and loved ones. You need to factor in the exact need behind the desire to install a home security system. Such an assessment will help you pinpoint the security gaps around and in your home, thus getting a much appropriate home security system. This will help you enjoy peace of mind and guarantee your loved one’s overall safety.
There are three types of home security system you need to pick out and install, and these are;
- Environmental monitoring: This home security system is designed to sense nonhuman abnormalities such as leakage or fire. Consequently, it implements the necessary measures to avoid a possible calamity. It includes pipeline monitors, smoke detectors, and sprinklers.
- Intruder protection: It comprises window films, security alarms, and motion sensors and is primarily designed to safeguard your home from burglary by making trespassing a lot more difficult.
- Home automation. It’s the most advanced home security system and comprises different gadgets linked to each other through the internet of things (IoT). This system can either be controlled via a smart speaker or using a smartphone.
With a clear idea of your exact needs, it’ll be easier for you to know which of these home security systems best suits you.
Cost of Home Security System
How much are you willing and ready to pay for a home security system? You must always ask yourself this question before spending a dime. Doing this is essential because the cost of installing a home security system varies greatly. This is usually because the package and equipment prices differ from one provider to another. In addition, there are numerous costs involved, including activation fees, equipment costs, monitoring costs, installation costs, and hidden fees.
The cost of installing a home security system differs depending on whether it’s installed by a professional contractor or carried out as a DIY project. If installed by a professional, you should be ready to spend no less than $100. You also should know that some providers charge a yearly subscription fee and different levels of security with varying monthly charges, ranging from a starter kit to a more advanced option. You shouldn’t make the mistake of choosing a provider because they’re cheap, as this is often at the expense of quality services.
Professional Vs. Self-Installation
Home security systems can either be DIY or professionally installed. Whatever option you take has its advantages and disadvantages, so it’s best to first assess each of them before deciding.
The DIY routes mean you don’t hire any professional to help out. Today this isn’t a great challenge thanks to cellular technology, which is a breeze to install even by yourself. In addition, many DIY security systems incorporate a peel-and-stick system, so you can easily attach them onto the walls without drilling.
In contrast, professional installation is ideal if you’re not into the process of installing a home security system. And with the installation being done by a professional, you can be sure that everything will be done correctly, further enhancing your home’s protection.
Choose Proper Security System Components
Different home security system providers use numerous gadgets to safeguard your home. Knowing this is crucial while going through the various packages because you want to ensure the security system of choice has the desired equipment and features. Some of the most common components to get for your home security system include;
- Spotlight camera that lights up and records the surrounding area each time it detects movement.
- Video doorbell records the person standing in front of your door and allows you to talk with them remotely using your smartphone.
- Window or door sensors that notify you each time your windows or doors are opened.
- Smart home integration enables your smart home gadgets and security system to work together to improve control using one app.
In addition to this, you should get other home security systems components such as smart lights, burglar alarms, motion cameras, and smart doorbells.